• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Waking up - how do you feel?

mindtools

Bluelighter
Recently I hate waking up.
As I don't have to go to shool or work, I fall asleep about 4am, and wake up about 2-3 pm. I always had delayed day cycle, so that's not a problem.
The problem is how long it takes for me since impulse (eg. alarm clock ;) ) till I get up. I can't force myself to stand up. And it lasts about 1,5h. I always tell myself there's nothing interesting that can happen to me this day, and just spin to another sleeping position :p

I wonder how you feel, when you wake up, and if you have any advise for me to feel better in the morning

pzdr

//my 2^7 post ;)

on days that I work I usually get less than my ideal amount of sleep (which is 8 1/2 hours), so I force myself out of bed and then take about and hour to fully wake up, until then I'm groggy and just going through the motions. On my days off I'm like you, there's nothing pressing to do that day and it's like there's no impetus to get up, and I often stay in bed just drifting through dreams.

But this doesn't happen if I plan something the day before for that day, like going hiking or to the lake, so when I wake up my mind starts working through what errands and such I have to get out of the way before I can go have fun, and I get up quickly. So my advice is to plan stuff ahead of time, stay busy.

oh ok, it sounds like u r like me....U FUCKING HATE MORNINGS!!!
some of us are just night owls
i've worked nights, 10p to 7a for like 7 1/2 years till that gig fell thru
workin nights aint bad....u get paid more
u get bothered less, u get to see the sunrise everyday, and u get to piss the rest of the world off by drinking beer in the morning w/o being a drunk!!!
oh, and i require a large iced coffee, just cream, no sugar, from dunkin donuts everyday to start my brain....or a red bull or 2

I feel like I'm ready to begin 16 hours of complete domination.

Last edited:
Waking up.. I usually feel.. well it depends.
It depends on how deep into dreamland I was able to venture. If I have deep dreams, I truly feel I'm not correctly "In" my body when I get up in the morning. I usually have to do some sort of grounding excercise like deep breathing or dry skin brushing (or just slapping myself in the face repeatedly) to make myself feel "attached" to my body again.

If I didn't sleep very long I usually just get right up and am okay. I really don't like not having a reason to get up. When I worked nights, I always, no matter what, overslept and felt like shit all day. Now that I work mornings I know I have to be up at 7-8ish and I feel better.

Also, something that helps me is never ever hitting "snooze". There is nothing more god awful than settling back into pleasant sleep for 5-10 minutes and then being jerked back out again, over and over. Its torture IMO. When that alarm goes off I bolt up out of bed and wake myself. Sort of like leaping straight into a freezing cold pool instead of painfully inching your way in. Works for me! :)

Wake up at noon and decide that it is another boring hot summer day. Sleep until 2-3pm and then wake up and sit in bed thinking about how damn hot it is in my room. the only real motivation i have to wake up is to clear my throat of the nasty shit that builds up.

I hate my sleep cycle but there is no reason to change it because id just be bored all day long

I hate fuckin waking up, always groggy and tired as fuck even tho I got almost 12 hours of sleep...

and I only sleep well when Im on opiates, without them it's usually hard to fall asleep.

i know exactly how you feel.... I'm kinda unemployed at the moment (temping though) when i had no work on, even though i had things to do during the day... i just couldn't face getting out of bed... i love bed.... especially when i've had enough sleep and can just drift in and out of dreams all day.

Now i'm working pretty normal hours again for a little while, i still have the horrible "snooze for 6 minutes at a time for an hour" issue.... i know that i should just set my alam for an hour later and get up when it goes off, or get up when it goes off now, and have a little more time to get ready in the morning... but i just don't have the motivation... not when bed is so nice and warm and peaceful and i know what i have to face for the rest of the day isn't nearly as lovely.

I think the only possible solution though, is to find a reason to get up straight away... either get a job you love, or take up some kind of morning fittness class (like yoga or something) or even organise to do something in the mornings with a friend or start car pooling with someone... that way someone else is relying on you getting up and being ready at a certain time.... i can't think of anything else that would really get me up in the morning... even getting repeatedly in trouble for being late to work doesn't curb my habits haha.

Waking up to a fucking alarm clock sucks, but I gotta go to work. :-/

I need a large coffee from dunkin donuts before I even attempt working though.

sleeping is good.
if morning suck
try not eating 'anything' including drugs 4 or more hours before bed.
drink more water and get more exercise and sunshine during the day.
live a wholesome life and youll sleep better.

i feel like shit usually in the mornings. but i often eat tons of food right before bed, munchies are bitch sometimes. and the residual painkiller residue doesnt really help. haha.
but follow the first paragraph i wrote, and youll feel much better in the morning

Maybe you should try sleeping earlier. I read this in a few health books (plus my doctor / acupuncturist told me this as well...) that the liver regenerates itself between the hours of 11pm and 3am. That is, you get optimum quality sleep time if you fall asleep between 11pm and 3am (obviously the earlier, the better.)

I've been an insomniac for YEARS and it was only when I sobered up and got my health back, that I was able to take advantage of a good nights sleep. And I found there to be a huge difference when I slept earlier as opposed to later, even if it was for the same number of hours.

You should try it :)

mindtools said:
Recently I hate waking up.
As I don't have to go to shool or work, I fall asleep about 4am, and wake up about 2-3 pm. I always had delayed day cycle, so that's not a problem.
The problem is how long it takes for me since impulse (eg. alarm clock ;) ) till I get up. I can't force myself to stand up. And it lasts about 1,5h. I always tell myself there's nothing interesting that can happen to me this day, and just spin to another sleeping position :p

I wonder how you feel, when you wake up, and if you have any advise for me to feel better in the morning

pzdr

//my 2^7 post ;)

when I worked nights thats how I felt, it felt like I should be getting paid to wake up, and when I was up I felt so heavy I needed to go back down for a bit...that stopped when I started working early morning...why are you not working? maybe get a day job or something if you feel this is annoying to you...I let it last for a while. I actually kind of miss sleeping so long, I can hardly sleep 10 hours anymore I used to go 14-15

I donno for sure but sleeping for that long isnt that good for you I dont think, I was doing drugs the entire way through so that could also be a factor:\

I feel like shooting myself in the face when I wake up, especially if I was having a good dream.

i have a really good internal alarm clock. i usually fall asleep around 1-2am and wake up initially around 7:30am. that is one of the most comfortable feelings i'll have all day, laying there knowing i have an hour before i have to get up. I can usually fall back asleep till about 8:15. i very rarely wake up to the alarm.

i'm tend to be a very light sleeper. i've always wondered if that corresponds with me rarely remembering any dreams. i hear people talk about these vivid dreams as if their a common occurrence. any recollection i have, if any at all, fades quickly. its actually more frequent that i partially wake up, and think that something in the room is something its not. i'll look at it for awhile trying to figure out what it is, then as i start to come to more i'll realize whats happening. if i'm exhausted i'll sleep walk, during which are actually the dreams i do remember...

/rant

Now that it's summer I've been sleeping until at least noon everyday. During the school year I got an average of about four hours of sleep a night, if not less. Now I'm getting at least ten hours of sleep, but ironically I usually feel like shit when I wake up. I'm not really sure why, because I don't use any drugs before I go to sleep or anything. The obvious answer would be to sleep less, but it's so hard to get up when you have no reason to.

i'm really good at waking up, can pretty much get up at the drop of a hat and function no matter the circumstances. That being said, waking up on little sleep is one of my least favorite things....its like cleaning...I'm good at it, but dislike it anyways :D

i used to drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day. getting to sleep was a pain and waking up i always felt like i never had enough, and wanted to lay back down.

recently, i've cut down on the amount of coffee I drink in a day. (i only have a cup of coffee, with a multi-vitamin and a b6 supplement in the morning about 20 minutes after i wake up.) i've noticed falling asleep is easier and waking up is more refreshing :D i think caffeine intake can really mess with your sleeping abilities.

i've always loved mornings. everything is so serene, a new day has emotion to it when you're up around 5 or 6 in the morning and the sun is still breaking over the horizon